Friday, March 20, 2009

"Have you ever seen a turtle get down?"

Pix Patisserie, a fancy dessert cafe near my house, sometimes projects old childhood favorites in the hope that you will order more food the longer you are there. Their latest showing was "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze" and yes, this movie is nearly as bad as its title. I was a HUGE ninja turtles fan in my youth and even though I enjoyed this movie immensely I think there was always a feeling just under the surface that the turtles just weren't performing up to my expectations. Notably, TMNT II: tSotO has a decent plot for a sequel (aside from Shredder somehow coming back from the dead). We find out more about the origin of our beloved foursome and new mutants are introduced in an effort to fight "freak with freak." The twist of course comes much to Shredder's dismay when he finds out that his secret weapons have the intelligence of a two year old. Tokka and Razor (a poor substitute for Rocksteady and Bebop) were cool ideas, but looked ridiculous and are pretty much too embarassing to watch. They did however inspire me to draw this guy from a movie still I found on the internet.



I've just about given up hope on them ever making a movie version of the turtles that's as gritty and dark as the comic was instead of shamelessly pandering to children. Let's get rid of the snappy remarks, cool dude attitude, and rainbow colored masks (in the comic they all wear red). It seems that people are getting tired of the hyper realistic portrayals of super-heroes that the X-Men movies and Christopher Nolan's Batman has given us, but I think one more round wouldn't hurt anybody.


.... and could someone please tell me why the mutagen Shredder uses at the end of the movie affects his body armor too? That just doesn't make sense. Oh and Super Shredder was way too tough to die from a pier collapsing on him. 'Nuff said.

No comments: