Sunday, May 31, 2009

"Is that Jesus?"

... asked a little boy in a pack of elementary school kids that walked by me as I was doing this drawing. "Yeah kid. It's Jesus."

Don't worry, he soon realized his mistake. It's not Jesus. It's a tree. For months I've been passing by interesting and charismatic trees in Portland thinking, "that would be a great tree to draw, I wish I had the time." Well this time I cut the bullshit excuses and sat down on the sidewalk to draw one of them. This was part of a particularly good morning walk the other day that included stops at local coffee shop, Albina Press, a produce stand for some apricots and salsa fix-ins, and sitting in the grass by the library while finishing up an awesome Batman comic. Yes I'm simultaneously an old man and a five year old. I would actually be pretty happy to have a walk like this once a week for the rest of my life. At least it won't seem so weird once I get old.

No comments: