Monday, January 12, 2009

A Whole New Era

Well, it's been quite an interesting day. Today we'll continue the saga of my stolen computer with the exciting tail of "The Grand Jury Testimony!" It actually wasn't that exciting, but still somewhat interesting. I received a subpoena last week to come to the county courthouse and give my testimony of what happened. It wasn't a big deal, just a room of nine citizens and someone asking me questions. I was imagining much worse things where I'd have to finger the guy who stole my computer in the courtroom as he meticulously memorized every detail of my face in case he runs into me on the street. Hey, he already knows where I live, right?

I guess the fella who had my computer is being charged with theft in the second degree, i.e. knowingly being in possession of stolen property and not reporting it. I waited around for a while at 9 AM before they called me in, but it's okay because I got to catch up on my Entertainment Weekly reading. Did you know there's a movie coming out with Jack Black and Michael Cerra as cavemen? I had no idea. Oh yeah, I also get five bucks for my time! WOO!

No, really, I can use that five bucks. Which brings us to my next exciting task for the day - applying for food stamps. It had never occurred to me before, but I've met a lot of people in Portland who do it and boy do I qualify. So if the government wants to give me 175 bucks a month for food, who am I to argue? Right?

The best part of these government offices is the waiting room. I secretly love waiting rooms, or anything of the like. Train stations, bus depots, airports, laundromats. They're all great. It's a good time to catch up on reading and great for people watching. You get to see people at their most basic state, because they're not constantly trying to busy themselves or work towards anything. They're just waiting. It's also a good time to do some sketching. Today's drawing isn't that exciting, but I'm thinking of going back tomorrow to draw more. Hey, it's not like I have a job I need to be at.



Also, my waiting number was B-52. I wonder if they ever applied for food stamps?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i secretly love waiting rooms too
<3

Anonymous said...

me too! they're delicious ;)

<3 <3 <3