Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Baby's first steps



This drawing marks the combination of two awesome thrift store finds. The paper is from a lined ledger book from the 60s that I found at the bins and the drawing is from an old photograph (1930s?) that I found at a thrift store in Rockaway, OR.

Old photographs are fascinating to me because they not only chronicle the aesthetics of a different time, but also a time when photography was relatively new and people weren't as self aware as they are now. I bought about 20 of these old family photos and as I was drawing this it occurred to me that I have no connection with these people; there is no deeper meaning beyond aesthetic pleasure and nostalgia. Driven by that, I'm hoping to dig up some photos from my own family's past and use them as subjects. More to come.

No comments: